Divine Liturgy: Sunday 10:00 AM (please join us for food and fellowship following Sunday Liturgy)
Vespers: 7:00 PM on Wednesdays outside the Great Fast (please check the announcements)
Liturgy of the Presanctified Gifts: 7:00 PM every Wednesday and Friday through the Great Fast
Feast Days: 7:00 PM on weekdays and 10:00 AM on Saturdays (please check the announcements)
Reconciliation: 30 minutes prior to any scheduled service or by appointment. In front of the icon of Christ or in the north transept either one, except when the church is busy then confession is only offered in the north transept.
Baptism, Confirmation, and Eucharist: Please notify the pastor when a child is born/adopted to arrange the dates for the proper prayers and blessings in addition to the baptism.
Marriage: Please notify the pastor at least six months before the anticipated date to allow for adequate preparation for this lifetime commitment.
Visiting the Sick: Please notify the pastor if a family member is in the hospital or unable to attend services due to illness and would like a visit. It is the responsibility of the immediate family to notify the pastor.
Funerals: Please notify the parish office before making arrangements with a funeral director.
Full Parish Catechesis
September’s Catechetical Focus: Creation Day 1. God Separated the Light from the Dark; Jesus is the Light of Life. (Gen 1:1-5 and John 8:12)
September Homework: Get the home packet here. Pray morning prayers (included in the home packet in English and Ukrainian), which take 2.5 minutes to pray. Learn the Sign of the Cross in a new language. Learn this month’s Bible verse. Please ask your catechist for details specific to your class.
2016-17 Dates: September 11, October 16, November 13, December 4, January 15, February 12, March 12, April 2, May 7, June 4. Meet in the church at 11:40, after a brief meal in the parish hall. Classes run until 1:40. Help with food, art, environment, and supplies are always appreciated. Visitors and newcomers are welcome!
We are always welcoming to volunteers as there is always a need for Christian service. You will find that in volunteering, there is satisfaction, fulfillment, joy and strength. Our doors are always open. Call (972) 370-4700
Conversion: Our doors are open for everyone! If you are considering converting to Catholicism, you are invited to discuss with the pastor the process and any needed preparation.
Reversion: Welcome home! If you are a non-practicing Catholic, you are invited to discuss your return to sacramental life in the fullness of the church with the pastor.
New Parishioners: To help us serve you better, new parishioners are asked to fill out a registration card which can be obtained from the pastor.
Please buy Manna Cards and support your church. Manna Cards generate profit for the church at no cost to you! Please contact Daria to place an order.
Kroger Neighbor to Neighbor Program: St. Sophia’s NPO number is 90702. Please register online at www.krogercommunityrewards.com. Remember: your purchases will not count until after your card is registered. It costs no extra money for the parishioners to participate but gives the parish a percentage from your purchases. Last year it was very successful and the parish benefited greatly from it. Thank you for supporting your church!
St. Sophia has a Good Neighbor Tom Thumb reward account. Please go to the customer service desk and ask them to connect your reward card to Good Neighbor account 9448. At no cost to you, 1% of your purchase will go to St. Sophia.
- Wed., February 1: Great Vespers with Lithiya at 7 PM;
- Thur., February 2: Feast: Encounter of the Lord: Divine Liturgy at 7PM followed by the blessing of the candles;
- Sun., February 5: Divine Liturgy at 10 AM;
- NO VESPERS on Wed., February 8;
- Sun., February 12: Divine Liturgy at 10 AM;
- Wed., February 15: Vespers at 7 PM;
- Sat., February 18: First Memorial Saturday: Divine Liturgy with Parastas at 10 AM;
- Sun., February 19: Divine Liturgy at 10 AM;
- Wed., February 22: Vespers at 7 PM;
- Sun., February 26: Divine Liturgy at 10 AM;
- Mon., February 27: Beginning of Great Fast: Canon of Andrew of Crete at 7PM;
- Wed., March 1, Liturgy of Presanctified Gifts at 7 PM;
- Fri., March 3, Liturgy of Presanctified Gifts at 7 PM;
- Sun., March 5: Divine Liturgy at 10 AM;
- Wed., March 8, Liturgy of Presanctified Gifts at 7 PM;
- Fri., March 10, Liturgy of Presanctified Gifts at 7 PM;
- Sat., March 11: Second Memorial Saturday: Divine Liturgy with Parastas at 10 AM;
- Sun., March 12: Divine Liturgy at 10 AM;
- Wed., March 15, Liturgy of Presanctified Gifts at 7 PM;
- Fri., March 17, Liturgy of Presanctified Gifts at 7 PM;
- Fr. Pavlo finished sending out letters with the amount of your donation to our parish in 2016. Please inform parish office if you do not receive such letter within the next few days or if the amount of donation in the report is incorrect. We will correct our mistake speedily.
- Parish potluck next Sun., Feb. 26, before the start of the Great Fast. Please sign up your name and a dish you plan to bring for the potluck that can also feed at least a few other people. We ask to bring a meatless dish since we will be already a week past Meatfare Sunday. Sign-up sheets are in the hall. Please also help to clean-up after the potluck. Thank You!
- Rite of Forgiveness next Sun., Feb. 26, by the end of the Divine Liturgy, as we step joyously into the Lenten fast, at peace with our brothers and sisters, walking together to the cross and the resurrection. The opportunity for confession will follow.
- Please update (if there are any changes) and/or submit (if you have never done this before) to Fr. Pavlo names of the deceased members of your family, so that we can pray for the repose of their souls during All Souls Saturdays.
- Please sign up for the Sunday Coffee Social for 2017. In order for this wonderful tradition to continue we need volunteers to fill every available spot. Sign-up sheet can be found in cafeteria.
- Important notice!!! New Star is on line. As of now, this is the only option. You may access our official eparchial publication at esnucc.org/new-star. You may print the entire issue on 8 ½” x 11” paper. It is your choice for color or not, single-side or double sided. You may choose only one language or both, it is up to you. Or, you may read it from your monitor, and/or store it on your computer for further reference. If you do not have access to a computer or internet, please inform Fr. Pavlo.
- Kroger Neighbor to Neighbor Program: St. Sophia’s NPO number is 90702. Please re-register online at www.krogercommunityrewards.com –> Community –> Kroger Community Rewards –> Reenroll Now/Sign In. REMEMBER, your purchases WILL NOT count toward our church until after your card is registered. It costs no extra money for the parishioners to participate but gives the parish a percentage from your purchases. Thank you for supporting your church!
- Parochial Catechesis: catechetical classes in our parish for all ages. Classes will take place once a month on Sun. after the Divine Liturgy. Classes for adults are offered in Ukrainian and English. Please talk to Fr. Pavlo for more detailed information or if you would like to enroll into the catechetical program:
- 6-th Session – February 12, 2017
- 7-th Session – March 12, 2017
- 8-th Session – April 2, 2017
- 9-th Session – May 7, 2017
- June 4 – Pentecost Party!
- Reminder: Parents of the young children, please make sure to check on the play room after kids are done playing there. We need to keep that room clean so that next week our children can continue to play there.
- Varenyky on sale! Please call parish office to place an order.
- Reminder: Mystery of Confession should be received by all faithful Christians on a regular basis or whenever the conscience is burdened, and at the very least during the Great Fast and Pascha season. If you have not availed yourself of this life-giving sacrament, please be sure to do so. To schedule a confession, please talk to Fr. Pavlo.
- Please continue to pray for peace in Ukraine, for our sister churches and clergy, safety of people, and especially for all those who defend the country against foreign aggressors. An English live stream is available at http://uatoday.tv
- Please join us for coffee and sweets after the Divine Liturgy.